10-10-10

Sunday, October 10, 2010

I know that a lot of people are talking about this date but I am remembering it for another reason.

My grandmother.

I called her Meme. She was everything to me. She died when I was 10 years old and today, had she have lived, she would be turning 90.

90.

Just saying it sounds unbelievable.

She died at the age of 58 from a brain tumor. I remember my dad coming home from the hospital and I just knew. I knew even at the age of 10 that something was really wrong. I knew that she had died and I knew that that was what my dad was going to tell me. I cried for hours after he told me.

It would be 12 years before I could even speak about her and not cry.

Gary and I were on vacation with our friends when I found out I was pregnant. We were in the mountains and we were close to where she was buried, so we went to the cemetery.

I cried there because I knew that I was pregnant and I knew that she would never know my child.

She was a very special person and I miss her every.single.day.

But now I don't cry when I think about her or speak of her.

I just smile.

Happy Birthday Meme.

Melanie