Macaroni and Cheese.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

There won’t be a Pioneer Woman recipe today because Denise is under the weather but she will be making a few things in the next couple of weeks that I won’t be making . They are things that our family (including me) don’t eat. I will try and post something that I cook that we love and link up to that recipe.

So this week, I made my baked mac & cheese. I don’t really have a recipe that is written down but I will tell y’all as best I can.

The cast of characters as Ree would say.

023 copyI salt the water and get it boiling for the 16 oz. of macaroni.

Boil that until almost done. Drain.

027 copyAdd a stick of butter (or less if you want) to the hot noodles.

At this point I add a couple of pinches of red pepper & garlic powder. Just do this to taste. You might like it salty with a kick like we do or you might like it a little less salty. Just season to taste.

030 copyAdd the beaten eggs and milk to the noodles. As you can see, I just eye it. Just make sure to cover the noodles.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. This is more of a custard style mac & cheese so it is ready when it is set up.

035 copyAfter as many times as I have made this, I was in a rush and I didn’t let it set up long enough. Hungry hubby and hungry wifey and I didn’t wait long enough.

This is a really good recipe but the end result doesn’t look that good. I think that I need a photography lesson from PW on how to take pictures of food;-)

This mac & cheese heats up well too. We eat on it a few times and there is never any left over to throw away. Also, most of the time (when I am not in a rush) it sets up better. It is more ‘held’ together and not falling apart….if that makes sense.

Try it and let me know if you like it.

Melanie