Segways!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Have you ever ridden a Segway? Well, I hadn't either before we went to San Francisco. We always try and have fun things to do with Caden and not just sightseeing so I thought this would be a really fun thing to do.

Turns out, it was. We rode the cable car down to Fisherman's Wharf to go to the Segway place.

When we got to the Segway place, we had to watch a video and get our equipment. At this point, I was really nervous. See, I am not very adventurous. I like to do things but when it comes to something that I know can hurt me, I am a scared-ie cat:) I was also working with a broken toe so I did not want to hurt myself any further. But we quickly learned that after you get the hang of it, it is a blast.

Off Caden goes to the parking lot where we had to practice.

This was our tour guide giving Caden instructions on what to do. The Segways do not have a stop and start button or a brake. They are cut on and your body movement is what makes them go, stop, or turn. There is definitely a learning curve and when Caden got on his and was wobbly, I thought that I wouldn't be able to do it.

Here is everyone practicing.

As we were riding around, I was snapping picture. A dangerous combo for a klutz:) We drove by the cable cars.

We got to ride down by the bay.

You can see the Golden Gate Bridge in the background with all the fog. So, so beautiful.

Alcatraz is behind me and Caden.

View from the pier.

We went by Ghirardelli Square and later walked back and the boys got some ice cream.

A view of the city from the pier.

It was a great way to see the city. We went through the marina district and I took a lot of pictures of the houses as we went by. I was chatting up the tour guide and he knew that I loved all the houses so he took us down some extra streets. We also went by the Palace of Fine Arts. They were working on it so we didn't walk to it.

It was a fun tour and we had a great tour guide. It is a 'must' do in a 'must see' city.

Melanie